Octopus Labs is the fintech innovation unit of the Octopus Group. We fuse track record and technology, expertise and UX, to build financial products the way they should be: trustworthy, rewarding and easy-to-use.
18 months ago we launched our first business, a peer-to-peer lending platform called Octopus Choice. We now have over 5,000 customers who have together invested over £130 million, and are growing at a rapid pace.
Working at Octopus Labs provides an opportunity to combine the exciting pace and enthusiasm of a start-up, with the broader benefits of a large, well-capitalised business that manages more than £7 billion and has over 150,000 customers.
As a Management Accountant for Octopus Labs you will be a key member of a growing finance team and will have the opportunity to progress your career in finance and accounting whilst surrounded by brilliant and creative tech-focused people. You’ll learn more and be exposed to more than you ever could have imagined in a finance role, all whilst knuckling down with your studies/CPD and working towards becoming that perfect finance all-rounder.
Of course, you’ll be getting stuck in and help lead the charge with the classic accounting and reporting requirements of the team:
- Weekly and ad-hoc MI reporting on business KPIs
- Budget business partnering: maintenance of models, quarterly deep-dive packs
- Management of monthly financial reporting cycle for 5 entities across the Labs group of companies
- Preparation of quarterly financial deep-dive and board packs
- Assistance with annual audit and tax compliance work
- Preparation of quarterly FCA returns
- Assistance with bank/debt reporting (in anticipation of the debt financing)
- Management of Choice platform loan book (in collaboration with our property lending team)
- Close collaboration with ‘tech’ team to ensure smooth running and data integrity on the platform
But you’ll also have chance to get stuck in with a variety of different things that the finance team currently have a view over:
- Systems automation/design: playing a leading role in the automation and improvement of existing and pipeline finance/reporting systems
- Modelling/business growth: sharpening your modelling skills with a variety of growth and development projects that will support the expansion of the different Labs businesses
- Process redesign: having your say in how we should streamline, automate and improve all financial and operational processes – absolutely key as we scale all of the Labs businesses!
First and foremost, we are looking for somebody who will be a great fit. You will likely be part-way through your accountancy training, or perhaps recently qualified, so the knowledge and skills will be sharpening and developing every day (and we’ll make sure they continue to do so!). What is key, however, is an emphasis on more of the non-technical skills that will allow you initially to get the most out of the role and the team:
- An insatiable thirst to learn
- A willingness to roll your sleeves up and get stuck in
- A team player (essential), but also not afraid to jump in to a solo project and make it your own
- The ability to spot areas of weakness and opportunity in processes and systems; the courage to speak up and challenge them and suggest improvements
- A solid self-starter
Plenty of reasons to come on board!
- ACCA/CIMA study support + study leave (if required)
- Flexible working hours
- Clear progression and opportunities to develop a deep set of skills, both ‘financey’ and ‘non-financey’
- Exceptionally diverse/multinational team
- Competitive salary + benefits
- Lovely, ‘fintech-feel’ office (we have a basketball hoop, yes)
Qualifications & Skills?
- Bachelor’s Degree in an analytical/technical area preferred, although not essential (we like to consider all backgrounds and circumstances)
- Part-qual. / recently qualified ACCA or CIMA
- Ability to collaborate effectively and work as part of a team
- Strong attention to detail
- Understanding of key financial concepts (and thirst to learn more, more, more!)
- Burning love for excel and spreadsheets (your next tattoo is going to be ‘Atl-W-V-G,’ right?)
Note: you must have the right to work in the UK.