For the last 17 years we at the Octopus Group have been applying our inquisitive nature in sectors such as investments, healthcare and energy.
Across all our businesses, we now have more 400,000 customers and our investments have put more than £8.3 billion* into the UK economy. We plan to keep on building businesses that will improve the lives of millions of people, because we want Octopus to be a company we’ll be proud to tell our grandchildren about.
About the role
We’re looking for a target-driven, empathetic and enthusiastic business development manager (BDM) to join a new business that’s being seeded within Octopus Labs – the fintech and innovation unit of Octopus.
We’re big believers in the powerful role that financial advice can play. It can transform lives for the better – helping people realise their aspirations, combat their anxieties and, well, live a better life.
The business you’d be joining is dedicated to developing new technology that can make the advice experience not only more efficient for advisers, but also simpler, more satisfying and more rewarding for customers.
The role will be predominantly phone based.
What you’ll be doing: essential job functions
Your primary function will be to generate new business by building, qualifying and converting a pipeline of prospective clients. This will involve:
- Developing an intimate understanding of our target market, their needs and potential solutions
- Identifying and testing new ways of finding leads who match our target market
- Engaging with prospective clients, educating them around our proposition
- Warming up and qualifying leads, before passing to senior colleagues for closing
- Maintaining our CRM and sales pipeline with clear and informative notes
- Identifying key trends of feedback and early obstacles to sale, helping us to constantly refine and improve our proposition
- Mentoring and training new BDMs
What we're looking for: job specific skills and experience
Above all, we’re looking for someone who’s friendly, energetic and principled, who loves forging new relationships and who’s passionate about providing an absolutely epic customer experience that get clients over the line. In particular, we need someone who’s:
- Entrepreneurial. You’ll be comfortable with ambiguity. A genuine self-starter, you’ll enjoy thinking up and experimenting with new ideas of how to generate prospective leads. If you want it all on a plate, you’ll be disappointed here…
- Hungry. A desire to always make tomorrow better than today. You’ll love targets – and love smashing them even more.
- Empathetic. You’ll be a great listener who’s able to quickly identify someone’s real needs and work out if we’re able to help.
- Honest. We’re not looking for your typical ‘salesy’ shark – we want a principled people person with integrity in spades, who loves to help and make others smile.
- Resilient. You’ll take setbacks in your stride and keep on plugging away.
- Curious. While no financial services experience is required, you’ll have a real desire to learn new skills and get to grips with the sector – including wanting to achieve new qualifications.
- Experienced. You’ll have 2+ years of exceptional consultative sales experience – and will have fantastic written and verbal communication skills.
You’ll feel right at home if you’re…
- Helpful: random acts of kindness make the workplace a better place so, go out of your way to be helpful, and give people reasons to smile.
- Straightforward: life is complicated enough. Don’t make it harder for yourself, or for others. Sometimes the simplest approach works wonders.
- Bold: every great business started with a flash of inspiration. If you’ve got a great idea, don’t keep it to yourself