Octopus Labs is the fintech innovation unit of the Octopus Group. We fuse track record and technology, expertise and UX, to build financial products the way they should be: trustworthy, rewarding and easy-to-use.
18 months ago we launched our first product, a peer-to-peer lending platform called Octopus Choice. We now have over 4,000 customers who have together invested well over £100 million, and are growing at a rapid pace.
Working at Octopus Labs provides an opportunity to combine the exciting pace and enthusiasm of start-up, with the broader benefits of a large, well-capitalised business that manages more than £7 billion on behalf of over 100,000 customers.
About the role
We are looking for someone to represent the Octopus brand on the front-line, by crafting and curating the copy on our various product websites. You will be responsible for ensuring that all our user journeys have a clear flow and consistent experience; that all user interactions are initiated with the same voice; that the tone of our writing is appropriate at the various points of the customer journey; and that all our headline text, page titles, meta descriptions are SEO friendly. You will also help write and edit the content for our product pages, and ensure the text is compliant with financial promotion regulations.
What you’ll be doing: essential job functions
- Write clear, concise user-interface text for products.
- Drive a vision for product content across all product content for a given domain.
- Ensure consistency of copy across all digital touch points within and across products (and work with marketing and operations to ensure these support offline touch points, too).
- Collaborate with designers, product managers, developers and business owners to define and execute requirements.
- Run A/B tests and user research to constantly improve and refine the UX content you develop, in conjunction with designers, product managers and developers.
- Act as a subject matter expert and point of contact for user experience writing, improve writing tools and processes, and generally lend a hand as needed to produce world-class software products.
Job specific skills and experience
- Degree? Maybe, maybe not, but your writing must speak for itself. Be ready to show off your portfolio.
- Experience in UX and content writing, product documentation, drafting of helpdesk articles or online publishing.
- Experience working with design, product management and development teams as part of the software development process.
- Knowledge of financial technology, investments and products. If no prior knowledge, then at least an interest and a proven ability to learn quickly.
- Ability to manage multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced, constantly changing environment.
- Ability to collaborate with different teams, take on feedback readily and iterate quickly.
- Effective writing, editing, and project management skills.
Who we’re looking for: our ideal candidate
Above all, we’re looking for some who…
- Loves words. Obviously.
- Can write with real clarity. You will enjoy distilling complicated concepts, mechanisms or processes into simple stories and instructions – but never by dumbing things down or patronizing the reader.
- Hates jargon.
- Has a keen eye. Errors, clunkiness or inconsistency will drive you mad.
- Understand that online writing is different. You know that on a webpage, you have 6 seconds to capture a user’s attention.
- Knows all about user flow.
- Knows how to make buttons friendly, and how to test content for optimal use.
You’ll live and breathe the Octopus values:
- Be helpful: random acts of kindness make the workplace a better place so, go out of your way to be helpful, and give people reasons to smile.
- Be straightforward: life is complicated enough. Don’t make it harder for yourself, or for others. Sometimes the simplest approach works wonders.
- Be bold: every great business started with a flash of inspiration. If you’ve got a great idea, don’t keep it to yourself
- Send a brief cover letter and a CV.
- Be prepared to share a portfolio of recent work that you've created.